Our Families


Under the ‘No Jab, No Play’ legislation, Glen Education must obtain evidence that a child is up to date with all vaccinations.

An Immunisation History Statement from the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) is the only form of documentation accepted for the purpose of enrolling at Glen Education. After enrolment, families will need to continue to provide up to date Immunisation History Statements to Glen Education. 

The Immunisation History Statement from the AIR lists the vaccines the child has received and, if applicable, which vaccines are due in the future and when. Medical exemptions may also be listed, where applicable.

The Medicare logo and Australian Government crest must be present and identifiable to be considered a valid Immunisation History Statement. For example, if the statement is page two of a letter from Medicare, both pages need to be presented to the service to confirm enrolment.

If no Immunisation History Statement (which shows up to date with vaccinations) is provided to Glen Education when requested, either full fees will be charged (if applicable) even if the child is unable to commence kindergarten until the documentation is provided, or the place may be offered to another child.

The quickest way to obtain an Immunisation History Statement is:

  • online using your myGov account. If you don’t have a myGov account, it’s easy to create one.
  • Contact the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR)
    Phone: 1800 653 809Monday to Friday from 8am – 5pm
    Web: Australian Immunisation Register

About Required Documentation

Families who are not eligible to hold a Medicare card can ask their immunisation provider to print an Immunisation History Statement, or they can call the AIR to request an Immunisation History Statement be posted (allow up to two weeks for delivery by post). 

A Translating and Interpreting Service is available by calling 131 450, Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:45pm.

If a child’s vaccinations are not up to date, then families should consult their GP or local council immunisation service about bringing the child’s vaccinations up to date.

Once the child is up to date with vaccinations, they can request an updated Immunisation History Statement from the AIR.

Children who were vaccinated overseas must have their vaccine records assessed by a GP or immunisation nurse and be offered vaccination as required.  Once the child’s records have been reviewed and updated by their GP, they can request an updated Immunisation History Statement from the AIR. 

There are some children in the community whose families face difficulties accessing vaccinations and/or the required documentation to prove immunisation status.

Under the legislation, some families are eligible to enrol and start at kindergarten under a ‘grace period’ provision while they bring their children’s vaccinations up-to-date and/or obtain the required documentation.

  • Evacuated children
  • Children in emergency
  • Children in the care of an adult who is not their parent
  • Children in the care of an adult who is not the child’s parent
  • Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander children
  • Children identified by their parents as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
  • Other children experiencing vulnerability or disadvantage
  • Children who hold or whose parents hold a health care card, pension concession card, Veterans Affairs Gold or White card
  • Children from a multiple birth of triplets or more
  • Children who are refugees or asylum seekers
  • Children known to Child Protection
    • Children who are on or who have been on a Child Protection Order
    • Children in or who been in foster care or out of home care
    • Children who have a report made about them under the Children Youth and Families Act 2005
    • Families that have received support through Family Services including Child FIRST/Orange Door; Services Connect; a community-based child and family service; or an integrated family service.